Hi my name is Tim Szarka. I am an artist blacksmith and the owner of Desert Owl Forge, a family owned and run small artisan shop in Southern Arizona (formally in Pahrump, Nevada).
I was fascinated by metal forging at a young age. When I was about 16 years old I started to help out the local village blacksmith, furthering my passion for fire and metals.
My professional career began when I enrolled to the blacksmithing program at the School of Special Arts and Crafts of Debrecen, and became one of the apprentices of artist blacksmith Jozsef Molnar.
After completing the program and three years of apprenticeship at my former master's shop I began my journeyman years. I traveled around Europe, working in several shops in Hungary, the UK, Portugal and Norway.
During these seven years I also run my own shop for short periods of time.
in 2008 a great opportunity presented itself and I had the honors to work for the prestigious company of LMC USA. I moved to the US that year.
I opened my own shop, Desert Owl Forge, in 2012 in the town of Pahrump , Nevada. We moved to the Tombstone Historic Mining District in the fall of 2019.
Desert Owl Forge is a small shop and we do ornamental metal forging and architectural iron work as well as cloisonné enamel jewelry. Blacksmith and forging classes are also available.
Involvement in significant project:
- Ceremonial chest of the Town of Gyomaendrod, (2000, self)
- Interior baluster and exterior railing of Foxley Farm, Oxford, UK (project leader, 2005-2006, Collin Phillips)
- Historic restoration of the entrance gates of the Miramar Estate, Newport, Rhode Island (artisan-in-charge, 2008-2011, L-M-C)
- Historic restoration of the metal works of the former Oliver Gould Jennings House and former Henry T. Sloane House at 7-9 E 72nd Street, Manhattan (part of the restoration team, 2009-2010, L-M-C)
- Exterior bronze railings of the Cayre residence, Brooklyn, New York (artisan-in-charge, 2009, L-M-C)
- Exterior bronze railings of the Englander residence, Belle Haven, Connecticut (artisan-in-charge, 2010-2012, L-M-C)
- David Easton’s Beaux Arts Alliance trophy (2010, self)
Awards and Prices:
- 2005, 1st price at the English National Blacksmith Competition’s New Forest Show, artistic and sculptural class
- 2005, 2nd price at the English National Blacksmith Competition’s New Forest Show, “best new comer” class
- 2006, 1st price at the English National Blacksmith Competition’s New Forest Show, artistic and sculptural class
- 2007, Artist Blacksmith (summer issue)
-2008, Artist Blacksmith (summer issue)
Artist Blacksmith is the official publication of the British Artist Blacksmith Association and Hephaistos is an international magazine for the metal working trade.
- 2000 -2010, Hungarian Blacksmith’s Guild, traveling Ambassador from 2008-2010
-2008-2009, Portsmouth and Hampshire Art Society
-2008-2009, British Artist Blacksmith Association